1. What is Wilderness First Aid?
- Wilderness first aid is the specific discipline of First aid which relates to care in remote areas, where emergency medical services will be difficult to obtain or will take a long time to arrive. Nursing care, though not part of normal first aid, is part of wilderness first aid.
2. What are the credentials of this course?
- These courses are the official collaboration between the Wilderness Medical Society, the largest membership society in the world devoted to wilderness issues, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and the Boy Scouts of America.
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute training programs are recognized and respected worldwide by businesses and industries; colleges and universities; and fire, EMS, and law enforcement agencies.
3. What are some of the businesses and industries that have accepted and/or approved this course for use?
- American Camp Association
- Boy Scouts of America
- Girl Scouts of the USA
- US Coast Guard
- And many more..
4. What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Students between 16 and 18, parental consent form.
- Students over 18, none.
5. What kind of certifications do I get from these courses?
- Wilderness First Aid Course completion card, valid for 3 years.
- Severe Allergic Reaction and Anaphylaxis Shock completion card, valid for 2 years.
- Optional – Adult CPR completion card, valid for 2 years.
- Optional – Adult/Child/Infant CPR completion card, valid for 2 years.
- Optional – Bloodborne Pathogens completion card, valid for 1 year.
- Optional – Automated External Defibrillator (AED) completion card, valid for 2 years.
- Optional – Emergency Oxygen completion card, valid for 2 years.
6. What books do we use?
- Wilderness First Aid – Emergency Care for Remote Locations – written in collaboration between the Wilderness Medical Society and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- A student workbook (currently under development)
7. Do I have to buy the books separate?
- No, the books are included.
8. Is there a test? If so what do I have to get to pass this course?
- Yes, you will need a test score of 80% to pass the course.
- 100% attendance is also required.
- Lastly, you will be evaluated on class participation.
9. What should I bring?
- Clothing that is appropriate for work indoors and outdoors as well as for the time of year.
10. What topics are covered?
11. Can I just show up at the door to register?
- No, we ask everyone to be pre-registered.
12. Are there any options to this course?
- Optional – Severs Allergic Reaction and Anaphylaxis Shock.
- Optional – Adult CPR.
- Optional – Adult/Child/Infant CPR.
- Optional – Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Optional – Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
- Optional – Emergency Oxygen completion card.
13. Are there a minimum number of students to have a class?
- For our Wilderness First Aid classes we ask that there be a minimum of 5 students.
14. What is the refund policy?
- You will receive 50% refund if you notify us 72 hours or more prior to the start of training.
- In case of emergency training dates can be rescheduled.
15. How can I pay for this course?
- We ask that you pre pay for the class.
- We accept:
- Money Order
- Purchase Orders
- We are also a Washington State registered vendor
16. What type of discounts do you offer?
- 10% for groups of 7 or more
- 10% for Military ID Card holder (active or not)
- 10% for members of the ASSE
- 10% for members of the EWFCCA
17. Can I reschedule my class?
- You may reschedule/transfer if you provide us with the dates of the requested reschedule/transfers and submit it to us 72 hours before the start of training. The reschedule/transfer must be completed within 30 days from the original training date, and a reschedule/transferring fee of $20.00 per student is charged.
18. Do you conduct private classes?
- We can come out to your location and conduct a private class for your company upon request. However, to do this we do ask that your company meet the minimum number of students or we can charge the price for the minimum number of students.
- For individuals, yes we can do a private class. Please contact us for details.
19. I lost my certification card; can I get a new one?
- In most cases Yes. As long as the lost card was current and we conducted the training we can issue a new card. Use our contact form to notify us that you have lost your card; tell us when you took the training and we can make this happen for you. We do charge $25.00 for this service.
20. Do I need to have a current certification card to participate in a ‘refresher’ course?
- In most cases, yes. Students may attend a refresher class if their current card is with in 30 days of the expiration date. Students whose certifications have expired for more than 30 days are not permitted to register for a refresher or renewal course. Please bring your old card to your refresher class.